In addition to filing the appropriate form in the OP-1 series, all applicants for motor carrier, forwarder, and broker authorities must have specific insurance and legal process agent documents on file before the FMCSA will issue the authorities. The required filings vary, based on the types of registrations involved. Below is a list of pre-registration forms, followed by an explanation of which types of registrants are subject to filing those forms.
Liability and cargo insurance forms must be submitted directly (online) by the home office of the insurance company furnishing the coverage. The FMCSA does not furnish copies of insurance forms.
||Authorities Subject to Filing
|BMC-91 or BMC-91X
||Public liability insurance (bodily injury/property damage/environmental restoration)
- Motor Carrier
- Freight Forwarder (Note: Non-vehicle operating freight forwarders may seek waiver of this requirement.)
- Freight:--$750,000 - $5,000,000, depending on commodities transported; $300,000 for non-hazardous freight moved only in vehicles weighing under 10,001 lbs.
- Passengers:--$5,000,000; $1,500,000 for registrants operating only vehicles with seating capacity of 15 or fewer passengers.
|BMC-34 or BMC-83
- Cargo insurance--$5,000 per vehicle
- $10,000 per occurrence
- Household GoodsMotorCarrier
- Household GoodsFreight Forwarder
|BMC-84 or BMC-85
- Freight Forwarder
- Broker of Freight
||Legal Process Agents
||Endorsement for Motor Carrier Policies of Insurance for Public Liability under Sections 29 and 30 of the Motor Carrier Act of 1980
||Hazmat Safety Permit Carriers
How to File
Applicants should be prepared to contact their agents to request filing of the required forms immediately after obtaining their designated docket number. These filings must be received within 90 days after the FMCSA has published public notice of intention to register the applicant. (Applicants will be notified by letter of their docket number and date of publication in the FMCSA Register.)
Applicants are cautioned to ensure that the name and address of the business as set out in all pre-registration filings match exactly the name and address provided in their Form OP-1 filings. Any deviation will result in rejection of the supplemental pre-registration filings.
Where to File
Insurance/process agent filings should be mailed directly to:
Office of Registration and Safety Information, MC-RS
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE W63-105
Washington, DC 20590
Insurance companies (NOT insurance agents) that wish to file insurance forms online need to set up a filer account with FMCSA. Please submit a request to the Insurance Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the above address with the following information:
- Letter on the insurance company’s letterhead requesting a filer account
- Home office address of the insurance company
- Billing address, if that address is different from the home office address
- Name of a contact person with that insurance company
- Contact person’s telephone and fax numbers
- Billing contact person’s telephone and fax number if it is different than the home office contact person
- E-mail address of the contact person if available
- Preferred user name for the account (if any)
- Subject line: "Insurance Filer Account Request"
FMCSA's QCMobile app can be used to verify an entity's operating authority and USDOT number. The new app will provide the functionality previously provided by the automated phone system, plus access to USDOT number status information. Users of Apple or Android smartphones or tablets can download this app from the iTunes App Store (Apple) or the Google Play Store (Android) at no cost.